Oakland University’s popular summer carillon concert series, which features carillonneurs from around the world, will return on July 5 and continue for six Fridays.
The free concerts will take place at 6 p.m. on Fridays next to the Elliott Tower on OU’s campus. The tower features a fully chromatic 49-bell carillon, which was the last carillon to have its bells and keyboard cast by the Petit and Fritsen Royal Bellfoundry in the Netherlands.
“Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, picnics and friends and enjoy a relaxing evening listening to the sounds of the bells,” said Dennis Curry, OU’s resident carillonneur.
Guest performers are recognized international carillonneurs who will provide a wide variety of music. Performers include:
• July 5: Bernard Winsemius of Amsterdam, Netherlands
• July 12: Gijsbert Kok of The Hague, Netherlands
• July 19: Carlo Van Ulft of Springfield, Ill.
• July 26: Alex Johnson of the University of Rochester
• August 2: The Verheyen Carillon & Guitar Duo of Hasselt, Belgium
• August 9: Dennis Curry of Kirk in the Hills & Oakland University
“Come early to enjoy the fountain on a hot summer evening,” Curry said.
Tours of the tower will follow each recital.
To learn more about Oakland University’s Elliott Tower, visit oakland.edu/elliott-tower.
For more information about the 6 Fridays @ 6 Summer Carillon Series, contact Dennis Curry at email@example.com.