Oakland University’s Healthology Symposium is going virtual this year and will focus on the creative solutions developed across different health sectors in response to the unique challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The program will share stories of diverse health leaders who, through creative problem-solving and fortitude, have adapted and responded to the public health crisis in the face of adversity, turning challenges into opportunities,” said Dr. Kevin Ball, dean of the Oakland University School of Health Sciences.
“Beyond COVID-19: Igniting Innovation in Health” is being presented by Priority Health and will kick off at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 12 with a livestream viewing of the program, which will feature presentations by:
• Dr. Gina Buccalo, chief medical officer, UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust
• Reyna Colombo, former director of rehabilitation services, Beaumont Hospital (Troy)
• Dr. Margaret Dimond, president/CEO, McLaren Oakland Region, McLaren Health Care
• Dr. Brian Fedoronko, medical director, Priority Health
• Dr. Darryl Hill, senior vice president, health & safety, FirstGroup America, Inc. (OU alumnus)
• Dr. Jennifer Lucarelli, associate professor and chair, Department of Interdisciplinary Health Sciences, OU School of Health Sciences
• Ewa Matuszewski, founder and CEO, MedNetOne Health Solutions
• Telva McGruder, chief diversity, equity and inclusion officer, General Motors
• Angela T. Moore, founder and owner, The Body Principle Integrated Health Organization (OU alumna)
• Katie Pring, director of PT and OT service, Synergy Health Partners (OU alumna)
• John Waugh, system vice president, pathology & lab medicine, Henry Ford Health System.
The virtual Healthology Symposium will continue at 6:15 p.m. on Nov. 12 with a series of networking chat rooms sponsored by Davis Vision, Integrated Health Partners, and McLaren Oakland. The chat rooms will include:
• Solutions for Population Health Through Virtual Care: Elevating the visibility and importance of telehealth. Co-hosts: Dr. Gina Buccalo & Dr. Brian Fedoronko.
• Achieving Equity for the Future: Addressing social determinants and removing barriers to health outcomes. Co-hosts: Dr. Jennifer Lucarelli & Telva McGruder.
• Emerging Health Care System Models: Embedding best diagnostic sciences within patient-focused care. Co-hosts: Ewa Matuszewski & John Waugh.
The symposium is free of charge and open to the public. To register, or for more information and details of the symposium, visit oakland.edu/shs/community/healthology.